Re: Scroll to page (was: Re: Additional Evince Features and "To Scroll aPage" error)

2006-10-06 klockan 11:19 skrev Richard Baxter:
> Regarding the scrolling of a page via the middle mouse button. Not every PC
> running linux has multiple buttons on their Xorg CoreCursor - and I do not
> think Evince should assume they do. I would therefore argue:
> 1) Evince should be (and appears to be upon first impression) designed for
> all X Windows Linux users (the days of 1 keyboard, 1 mouse, and 1
> workstation are gone - I can assure everybody here) and

While Evince runs fine without a Gnome desktop, Evince is targetted at the
Gnome desktop environment. This means we follow Gnome standards and
guidelines, not "general ad-hoc principles that happen to be applicable to
the X Window System".

Regarding the middle mouse button not present on all mice: the primary way
of scrolling is by using scrollbars. The "middle-drag feature" is just an
*additional* way to scroll, not the primary way. I don't see the problem
with it not being available on all desktop setups.

> 2) Evince should allow Adobe Reader users to easily migrate (once Linux
> developers have the market share - then they can start to redefine user
> interface standards for common apps)

Perhaps we should also add a button with "click here for commercial crap on
the web" text on the toolbar (which cannot be removed). Additionally, we
should place a menu on top of the right scrollbar for greater interface
discoverability. And, of course, we should add a splash screen showing which
libraries are being loaded on startup, since this is very useful information
for the user. [1]

> Thanks again everyone for your great development - Evince far exceeds Adobe
> Reader in its ability to efficiently render complex PDFs.

I highly doubt that, but I agree that Evince is waaaaaay better than
Adobe Acrobat for your document viewing pleasure.

  mvrgr, Wouter

[1] Just joking. I think you suggestion is nonsense.
--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

soon i know i'll be back with you :: i'm nearly with you           -- zero 7