Re: Initial comments

Well, if the doc were sufficiently hypertexty, I'd switch to using my
imaginary pdf-enabled browser.  "Browser for reading hypertexty stuff,
evince for reading structured stuff" is the idea, I guess.

Taking it from the other direction: There exist both html viewers (web
browsers) and html editors.  They happen to deal with the same file
type, but in quite different modes.  Since the modes are distinct
enough, we have separate apps for each.

So, I'm saying that to my way of thinking, the pdf-ness is incidental.
 What's essential is something more like "structured, standalone"
documents vs. "hypertexty, often network-dependent" ones.

Now, this will come down to priorities.  There are, as you point out,
intra-document links in many pdf files.  But is it worth it to
introduce navigation history if it will find only infrequent use?  And
wouldn't it be better to tell the user to point his browser at it if
he *really* wants the navigation history?

I'm not claiming this is the obviously right approach, but it might be
a step in the right direction.  My work patterns, at least, reflect
this distinction, and it's an opportunity to make evince simpler.