Re: What is Epiphany's role now?

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 20:26 +1200, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2007, at 8:57 PM, Murray Cumming wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, I think we have lost the battle to get Epiphany
> > installed as the default browser on popular Linux distributions. The
> > Firefox brand was just something that they couldn't do without.
>
> Once upon a time, Internet Explorer was a brand that Mac OS couldn't do
> without.

I doubt that was their reasoning, personally.

>  But it's not a good idea for an OS vendor to be dependent on
> an ISV that's far more interested in Windows, so Apple acted
> accordingly. The same problem applies to Firefox on Linux-based OSes,
> just not as much yet.

Everything I've heard suggests that Firefox is very happy to integrate
with GNOME. It just hasn't happened fully yet.

> True, Internet Explorer wasn't Free Software, but neither is Firefox
> unless you debrand it. And if you do that, whoops, you've lost that
> "Firefox brand".

How do you suggest that we persuade the distros to use Epiphany given
that we've failed to do that so far?

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com