Re: What is Epiphany's role now?

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 19:05 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:

> How do you suggest that we persuade the distros to use Epiphany given
> that we've failed to do that so far?

That sounds funny to me considering the two distros I have installed,
Debian and Arch Linux, both install Epiphany as the default (and only
graphical) web browser when you install Gnome.  On both distros, you
have to explicitly install Firefox (er .. Iceweasel, on Debian).

I don't understand the concern about what various distros install by
default.  Firefox has the advantages of being cross-platform, having a
lot of publicity and marketing, and of being DE/WM agnostic on Linux.
It has mindshare and it's very flexible, so of course people will use
it, primarily because you can use it anywhere, and it mostly works
pretty well anywhere you use it.  That's very convenient.  People who
use Windows at work and Linux at home can use it both places and sync
their browsing.  Ditto for people who have PCs and Mac.

OTOH, Epiphany is better suited than Firefox to using under Gnome.  I've
never tried running Epiphany under XFCE or KDE or any particular WM, but
I don't imagine it would be as satisfying.  (Anyway, I run Gnome most of
the time.)  If there's any reason for concern, it might be only that
some Gnome users don't know about Epiphany and don't know what they are
missing.  But I've certainly seen ringing endorsements and
recommendations of Epiphany even in places like the Ubuntu forums and
wiki.  I wouldn't expect any distro that's aiming (primarily) at Windows
converts to push anything other than Firefox; but I would expect that,
eventually, some of those who gravitate toward Gnome will discover that
Epiphany is a better option for them.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions