Re: Cookies from python

On Wed, 2006-06-09 at 11:22 +0200, Zsombor wrote:

> Thanks, that's what I afraid of. From googling around I saw some
> emails from 1-2 years ago, when it is discussed, and some build
> instructions ( http://live.gnome.org/Epiphany/EphyPython/PyXPCOM), and
> I'm wondering why there is no further development occured since ? Is
> there any blocking issue which prevents to include the python binding?
> Is it not stable enough?

Those build instructions will get PyXPCOM into Mozilla, not Epiphany.
(i.e., you can access PyXPCOM from Python within Epiphany, but it's hard
to get a hold of a MozillaEmbed, and so you can't manipulate the page
you're viewing or add signals to the embed.)

About a year ago I wrote a patch that integrates PyXPCOM into Epiphany.
Then the real world prevented me from continuing to work on it. I'm sure
it's the same story with other developers: a simple lack of time.

All that's really needed:
- Distributions have to provide PyXPCOM. This is a simple matter of
time, but we could probably speed it up if we compiled it standalone (if
such a thing is possible) and/or bugged the proper people downstream.
- A patch to Epiphany which gives access to MozillaEmbeds from
EphyEmbeds (I believe MozillaEmbed is the only class extensions will
need to access which isn't a singleton). This I've already done, though
my patch has since bitrotted and it wasn't the most beautiful thing in
the first place. Still, it's a day's work at most.

--
Adam Hooper
adamh densi com