Re: missing glyphs

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 18:01:02 -0600, Larry Hunter wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I'm running epipany 2.14.3 using the “gecko-1.8” backend (as packaged
>for a debian distribution, 2.14.3-2).  I'm running the latest Debian
>unstable distribution on an AMD64 platform (x86_64).
>
>For some reason, there are missing glyphs in just about all the fonts as
>rendered in epiphany.   For example, looking at a NY Times page in its
>native fonts
>(http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/27/washington/27cnd-lobby.html) all the
>dashes, quotations, etc. are rendered as missing glyph boxes.  I know
>the fonts are OK because the same page renders fine with, say, Mozilla
>1.7.13 (debian package 1.7.13-0.3).   The same glyphs are missing if I
>force it to use other fonts (I tried quite a few).
>
>Any ideas about how to debug (or better, fix) this?

This is a well-known "bug".  Actually it's not strictly epiphany's
fault.  The page renders just fine if you switch encoding to
windows-1252.  Looking at the HTMl source you'll see that the site is
wrong in claiming it's using iso-8859-1 (latin-1).

This is a very common thing.  My personal opinion is that it's becoming
more common.  AFAIK IE and Firefox (possibly Opera as well) actually
treat a claim of iso-8859-1 as windows-1252.  If you search through the
archives of this list you'll find emails pointing to the Firefox bug
reports related to this issue.

Another personal opinion of mine: Microsoft should never have been
allowed to incorporate a TCP/IP stack in their "operating system".

/M

magnus therning org             Jabber: magnus therning gmail com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

If you can explain how you do something, then you're very very bad at
it.
     -- John Hopfield