missing glyphs

Folks,

I'm running epipany 2.14.3 using the “gecko-1.8” backend (as packaged
for a debian distribution, 2.14.3-2).  I'm running the latest Debian
unstable distribution on an AMD64 platform (x86_64).

For some reason, there are missing glyphs in just about all the fonts as
rendered in epiphany.   For example, looking at a NY Times page in its
native fonts
(http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/27/washington/27cnd-lobby.html) all the
dashes, quotations, etc. are rendered as missing glyph boxes.  I know
the fonts are OK because the same page renders fine with, say, Mozilla
1.7.13 (debian package 1.7.13-0.3).   The same glyphs are missing if I
force it to use other fonts (I tried quite a few).

Any ideas about how to debug (or better, fix) this?

Thanks!

Larry