Re: Bookmarks and searches

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 02:19:29 +1300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> On 15 Jan, 2006, at 1:13 AM, Peter Harvey wrote:
>> The idea is that a user can have multiple window configurations
>> (Fullscreen, Work, Fun, Search, etc) and switch between them. The
>> configurations store all information pertinent to how the window acts,
>> and changes to a configuration are used by new windows.
>>
>> This would obviously go after the coming release. But does it sound like
>> a decent idea?
>
> William Case said "An Epiphany with a fully loaded toolbar, extra menu
> items, extra toolbars, more features is what I am trying to avoid". And to
> let him achieve that, you're proposing adding more menu items? There's
> something not quite right here. :-)

Seems to me there's an easier way -- and I'm using it. It's probably just
an extension of what William Case is doing.

I keep a workspace switcher on my favorite panel (the one with all and
only the apps I use most, including a drawer with browsers and my
newsreader -- everything else I use more or less often is on another
panel), with in my case a dozen spaces (several of which are usually
empty). One is for the terminal on whose tabs I do email, root's work,
etc.; four are for browsers; one for the newsreader; etc.

Each browser always gets opened in the same workspace -- except the
default browser. (For that I designate Dillo, which is quickest, and use
it only for clicking on links to see whether I want to move them to a
heavier-duty browser; if I don't like them, or can read and forget, I'm
done.)

Opera has its workspace, and its routinely opened tabs; it also functions
as my bookmark hoard, so that I have them all in the one place where I can
organize them the way I want. (I can't in Epiphany, not nearly.)

Firefox has its workspace; Epiphany has its; and there's one kept vacant
for Konqueror if I want still another for some reason.

When I want to run google linux, I go to the leftmost tab on Opera, and
probably end up storing bookmarks.

When I want to read a web forum, or look at something I have put onto a
new tab from one of the ones I follow, I go to Epiphany.

When I want to get into my finances (rarely), or read my mail in a web-app
which does pix (rarely), I go to Firefox.

And so on. Opera, Firefox, and Epiphany are always open, with their
standard tabs. (I close them occasionally to get rid of cookies.) The
others stay closed, and open when I have a need.

What's the point of trying to do everything with one? Big heavy
browsers with lots of bells & whistles have their uses, when you want a
bell or a whistle bad enough; Opera and Firefox are both good, and neither
has too many tabs open to let me find the one I want.

Rock-bottom lean & mean browsers have their uses; Dillo opens in a flash.

Steady middle-ground browsers have their uses; Epiphany keeps good track
which parts of which threads I've read on my forums, and lets me look at
interesting sites they refer to.

And all this is quick and easy.

Seems like trying to be all things to all users is an exercise in futility.

--
Beartooth Stickster, Neo-Redneck Linux Enthusiast
A wanderstaff like an Elvish rope should be long,