Re:Bookmarks and searches

Hi Reinout;

I appreciate your response.

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 12:00 -0500, epiphany-list-request gnome org
wrote:

>         Nice to hear. The Epiphany bookmarks editor was given its own
>         toplevel
>         launcher with this scenario in mind, but not many people seem
>         to use it
>         that way.

I came to using it when I realized, my web life splits into two parts.
1) Browsing (in its plain language sense) i.e. playing around,
curiosity, random searches and sharing pictures etc. etc. etc.  For
that, I want a full featured browser like Firefox.
2) Working. When I know what I want and where I should go to get it.  I
just want info or other content. In that case, I want speedy, clean
efficiency.  Epiphany is the best, and working just using the Bookmarks
launcher is even faster.

>         Although you could change the association for HTML files on
>         your local
>         disk to another browser, it is not possible in the bookmarks
>         editor to
>         have some bookmarks open in another browser than Epiphany.
>         If/when
>         bookmarks are abstracted to a desktop-wide concept then this
>         might
>         change.

Unless there has been an improvement in Gnome 12 (I have Gnome 10, its
all Firefox or all epiphany).  I would like to have Firefox for a web
link etc. but Epiphany (because it is neater, cleaner and faster) for
showing internal HTML documents without having to first go to each
document and associate Epiphany in place of Firefox.  (Just thought.
Maybe I could write a script to search out HTML documents on my disc and
associate Epiphany with each of them.  Hmmmm ??)

>         Have you tried the deskbar-applet yet? I think it mostly does
>         what you
>         describe here.

Took your advice and yum loaded deskbar-applet.  It loads but doesn't
work.  Just sits on my panel greyed out and looks at me.

Its not what I want anyways.  I have several search homepages in a Topic
I call Xtern (to put it at the bottom of my topics list).  Deskbar
requires a couple of mouse clicks to start the search.  Not a lot of
effort, but I already have bookmarks open on my desktop or on my
taskbar.  Perhaps a simplified version of Deskbar could be incorporated
in the 'Search:' label/button.  I never use search now to find a URL.  I
only need topics (but every user is different).

>         > * On the bookmark, a one click epiphany launch.  In gnome, I
>         have
>         >   every thing set up so the cursor hover = focus, click =
>         launch.
>         >   Now, I have to pause in the bookmark and remember to
>         double click.
>
>         Hmm, someone with more insight in the code than I have should
>         be able to
>         say whether it is feasible to honor the 1-click-activate pref
>         in the
>         bookmarks editor... (how would you select multiple items?)

Why would you select multiple items? (CTRL+click)

>         > * The demensions and position that I set for the bookmark,
>         when I use
>         >   it as the desktop launch engine alone, are never retained
>         from
>         >   launch to launch.
>
>         This might be a bug, please use bugzilla.gnome.org to report
>         it. Thanks

Will report it as a bug.  I have to play a bit to establish exactly when
it loses the settings.

>         :-) If you have any other questions or feedback, don't
>         hesitate to post
>         it!
>
>         regards,
>
>         --
>         Reinout van Schouwen       ***  student of Artifical
>         Intelligence
>         email: reinout cs vu nl    ***  mobile phone: +31-6-44360778
>         www.vanschouwen.info       ***  help mee met GNOME vertalen:
>         nl.gnome.org

If epiphany is looking for simplicity and speed, think about how many
operations can be reduced to the bookmark.

        Regards Bill