Re: Post-1.10 location entry auto-completion

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 11:05 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> I doubt this would really help a lot. If the bookmark happens to be in a
> topic that is down below in the dropdown, even if it is used a lot, it
> will cause irritation.

I'm trying to avoid constructing a strawman argument here, but look at
the attached screenshots. It's almost impossible to spot anything in the
drop-down, but in the menu it's easy.

My Usability Argument:
In my screenshot I have typed "news". That is the only text I will type,
and I will then use the cursor keys to select things. If it was an
auto-complete widget then I *could* just continue typing until the
target item is within a decent "range". But I can't. So while the
drop-down looks like an auto-complete, it isn't. It's a way to select a
subset of bookmarks/history and then allow the user to select something
from there. That's my argument for why we should be arranging the
bookmarks in a way that's navigable and organised rather than "most
recent" or other orders.

Peter.