Re: Post-1.10 location entry auto-completion

Hi,

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

 I agree with this for history items. Perhaps sorting by the most
 frequently visited site/domain, rather than url.

 But for the bookmark items, I feel the user is trying to navigating
 through an existing fixed/chosen structure. Arranging them in
 logical groupings should help there more than "most recent".

I doubt this would really help a lot. If the bookmark happens to be in a topic that is down below in the dropdown, even if it is used a lot, it will cause irritation.

I see them both as "I want to back to somewhere I was at before". Bookmarking a page is a way of saying "make sure I can always do that, even if I don't visit the page again for a long time". (Which is partly why I propose calling the menu "Remember".)

How do these ideas fit in with our (admittedly somewhat elusive) long term plan to merge bookmarks and history? I do think that treating bookmarks as (semi-)permanent history items, possibly with some extra metadata, is the way we should pursue.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen	   ***	student of Artifical Intelligence
email: reinout cs vu nl    ***	mobile phone: +31-6-44360778