Re: Post-1.10 location entry auto-completion

On Feb 20, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Peter Harvey wrote:

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 15:02 +1300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
I think entries in the auto-complete menu should be ordered by how
often they've been visited in the past. This is how at least Firefox
and Safari work.

I agree with this for history items. Perhaps sorting by the most
frequently visited site/domain, rather than url.

I think URL would be better. If I go to <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/> very often, and <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/> not quite so often, and later I try to get to <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/> by typing "bu" into the address field, I don't want to have to scroll past a whole truckload of bugzilla.gnome.org/* addresses just because they're in the same domain as <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/>.

But for the bookmark items, I feel the user is trying to navigating
through an existing fixed/chosen structure. Arranging them in logical
groupings should help there more than "most recent".

More formally, I see the use case for history items is:
 - I want to go back to somewhere I've just been recently
whereas the use case for bookmarks is:
 - I want to find something in my personal collection

I see them both as "I want to back to somewhere I was at before". Bookmarking a page is a way of saying "make sure I can always do that, even if I don't visit the page again for a long time". (Which is partly why I propose calling the menu "Remember".)

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/