Re: Post-1.10 location entry auto-completion

On Feb 19, 2006, at 2:28 PM, Peter Harvey wrote:
Part of the change would involve a re-write of the auto-completion code for the location entry. The location entry is one area where the
hierarchical bookmarks code has *not* been added and so bookmarks are
just lumped together in the auto-completion. I would like to try and
improve this for the user, so I've created two simple screenshots of how I think we could improve things for the user.
  http://home.exetel.com.au/harvey/epiphany/060219/

Please have a look and let me know if they would improve things for you.

I think entries in the auto-complete menu should be ordered by how often they've been visited in the past. This is how at least Firefox and Safari work. (I used to be opposed to that on the grounds that it would change the order of the menu over time, but then I realized that (a) the history is constantly changing anyway, and (b) people don't really expect the menu to be in any particular order, so minimizing the number of keystrokes is more important.)

Other options include:
  * Bolding that component of the bookmark that led to it being shown

Good idea, though it might be too distracting. Maybe underlining would work better. The other tricky bit would be working out how (or whether) to change the ellipsization of long URLs so as to make the emphasized part visible.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/