Re: Post-1.10 location entry auto-completion

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 00:15 +1300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Peter Harvey wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 15:02 +1300, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> >> I think entries in the auto-complete menu should be ordered by how
> >> often they've been visited in the past. This is how at least
> Firefox
> >> and Safari work.
> >
> > I agree with this for history items. Perhaps sorting by the most
> > frequently visited site/domain, rather than url.
>
> I think URL would be better. If I go to <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/>
> very often, and <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/> not quite so often, and
> later I try to get to <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/> by typing "bu"
> into the address field, I don't want to have to scroll past a whole
> truckload of bugzilla.gnome.org/* addresses just because they're in the
> same domain as <http://bugzilla.gnome.org/>.

If I may offer a counterpoint - I rarely can remember what URL I've been
going to before, past the domain part. It seems to me you're
differentiating between two bugzillas by the domain they reside in - I'd
be doing the same thing, and typing either "gno" or "moz" to reach
either.

This is particularly relevant to sites which cross-reference to
different hosts like "news.foobar.net", "cvs.foobar.net",
"www.foobar.net", "international.foobar.net" etc. To me, they're all
foobar.net, and that's where I'd be looking for them.

--
Osma Ahvenlampi   <oa iki fi>    http://www.fishpool.org