Re: UI for configuring plugin

This morning, Magnus Therning wrote:

>>I've also been writing a Del.icio.us extension, and I think it works in
>>a more sane way than Epilicious.  It doesn't require a manual
>>synchronization.  Every time you add or change a bookmark, it gets sent
>>to your Del.icio.us account.
>
> Cool. I guess there's no connectivity issue since most additions of
> bookmarks happen when surfing anyway.
>
> First I'm wondering how you handle changes that are made on the
> del.icio.us side? (Epilicious is a two-way synch, designed more for
> sharing bookmarks between systems than for pushing bookmarks to
> del.icio.us.)

This was something I was unsure about.  Because del.icio.us provides an
update api, I suppose that polling would have to be the way to do it.
We would need to see when the last update was done and, if it doesn't
match the time of the extension's last push, we should download the new
information.

> Another thing, it's been my intention all along to add support for
> multiple del.icio.us accounts at the same time. I don't see any problems
> with that using signals.

None at all.

>>Does adding these signals make sense? If you (Magnus, or the list)
>>would like to see the patch, let me know. This would allow for my
>>extension, Magnus' extension, and any other social bookmarking services
>>(Shadows, Magnolia, etc.) to function without any extra work on the
>>part of the user.
>
> I kind of like the idea, especially for pushing bookmarks to del.icio.us
> (or similar service). For synching it'd require slightly more work in
> epiphany (listening for a delete signal) and in the sharing app (regular
> polling I guess is the straight forward way to deal with changes made on
> the remote side). I'm also not entirely convinced that automatic
> synching is a good way to go as long as the security of del.icio.us is
> so lax.

All the signals for Epiphany are setup.  If you drag and drop a
bookmark, the signal is triggered.  If you delete a bookmark, rename a
topic, delete a topic, change a title, whatever, the right signals get
triggered, so you can call the right handler.

Remote updates are the hardest bit to figure out.  You're probably right
that polling is the only really workable way. Maybe every call to open
the bookmarks menu or dialog would run an update-and-sync function, so
polling would be unnecessary?

What do you mean about the security of del.icio.us being lax?  I don't
know all that much about the API (besides what got the extension
working) so can't comment on that.  Is there anything we can do fix it
client-side?

-eric