Re: UI for configuring plugin

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 05:39:00PM -0700, Eric Lesh wrote:
>>>Does adding these signals make sense? If you (Magnus, or the list)
>>>would like to see the patch, let me know. This would allow for my
>>>extension, Magnus' extension, and any other social bookmarking
>>>services (Shadows, Magnolia, etc.) to function without any extra work
>>>on the part of the user.
>>
>>I kind of like the idea, especially for pushing bookmarks to
>>del.icio.us (or similar service). For synching it'd require slightly
>>more work in epiphany (listening for a delete signal) and in the
>>sharing app (regular polling I guess is the straight forward way to
>>deal with changes made on the remote side). I'm also not entirely
>>convinced that automatic synching is a good way to go as long as the
>>security of del.icio.us is so lax.
>
>All the signals for Epiphany are setup.  If you drag and drop a
>bookmark, the signal is triggered.  If you delete a bookmark, rename a
>topic, delete a topic, change a title, whatever, the right signals get
>triggered, so you can call the right handler.
>
>Remote updates are the hardest bit to figure out.  You're probably
>right that polling is the only really workable way. Maybe every call to
>open the bookmarks menu or dialog would run an update-and-sync
>function, so polling would be unnecessary?

How do you propose dealing with getting remote changes in?
(I see two options, listen for signals or a dedicated plugin.)

The problem with triggering a synch through non-dedicated UI interaction
is del.icio.us' built in delay for multiple queries (see
http://del.icio.us/help/api/). Epilicious uses a dedicated UI
interaction (a menu item) for partly that reason.

>What do you mean about the security of del.icio.us being lax?  I don't
>know all that much about the API (besides what got the extension
>working) so can't comment on that.  Is there anything we can do fix it
>client-side?

There is no SSL/TLS URL for del.icio.us and IIRC it uses basic
authentication. This means username and password are transmitted in
cleartext.

/M

magnus therning org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Most people, I think, don't even know what a Rootkit is, so why should
they care about it?
     -- Thomas Hesse, president of Sony-BMG's Global Digital Business,
        commenting on XCP