Re: Opportunity for Epiphany

Hi Jeff,

Here's a more formal reply than our conversation in the pub, sorry I let it linger for a while...

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, Jeff Waugh wrote:

momentum of public recognition, provides an improved but ultimately familiar user experience and has the resources of mozilla.org (and Google) behind it.

As you're undoubtedly aware, Epiphany builds on those resources as well. :-)

(snip)

That said, there is a massive opportunity opening up for Epiphany, and if we are smart and listen to our users, we can "reclaim the browser". *cough* ;-)

Could you elaborate a bit more on what you have in mind when you say 'if we are smart and listen to our users'? Just asking because 'our users' is not a very well-defined group. It could mean our grandmothers that we've recently converted to Linux, or it could mean a bunch of vocal Footnotes tr^H^Hanonynomous Georges.. ;-)

Anyway, just wanted to point this opportunity out to you guys. Is it time to reclaim the browser? :-)

Obviously we would be very excited if popular distros started using Epiphany as the default web browser in their GNOME environment.[1] There's been a recent influx of interest because of Philip, Crispin and Tommi taking on the project of "porting" Galeon to Epiphany-extensions, so the timing may be just right. But developer manpower is still limited and realism forces me to admit that such distros (or persons representing them) would be keelhauled if for instance the AdBlock extension wouldn't be in a better shape than it is now.

So I guess what I'm saying is, it's way past due to reclaim the browser, but much depends on the willingness of distributors doing their share in polishing extensions etc. in such a way that a transition would be received favourably by their user communities.

[1] Especially if they're Debian based[2]
[2] Even more so if they're funded by South-African space travelers 8)

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen