Opportunity for Epiphany

Hey dudes,

Thus far the major distros have all been keen to ship Firefox, as it has the
momentum of public recognition, provides an improved but ultimately familiar
user experience and has the resources of mozilla.org (and Google) behind it.
I don't think that's the wrong choice, by the way - Firefox is a really good
product, and Epiphany isn't stunningly better integrated or featured that it
poses serious competition. (That's not to say it doesn't rock, just that the
competition is tough!)

That said, there is a massive opportunity opening up for Epiphany, and if we
are smart and listen to our users, we can "reclaim the browser". *cough* ;-)

Firefox is rapidly becoming a pain in the behind for Linux distributors, due
to mozilla.org's trademark and security update policies. Everyone is feeling
it, no one is enjoying it.

Epiphany is an interesting solution for the trademark issue, especially when
you compare the level of desktop integration (hopefully this will improve,
too). Combined with xulrunner, it may relieve some of the support probems. I
can't say for sure - it depends on the API/ABI commitment made by xulrunner.

Anyway, just wanted to point this opportunity out to you guys. Is it time to
reclaim the browser? :-)

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
OSDC 2005: Melbourne, Australia                      http://www.osdc.com.au/

     "Building a Kernel is a requirement for Securing Servers." - Oscar
                                  Plameras