Re: Epiphany homepage

Hi,

On Vi, 2005-02-11 at 17:18 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Victor Osadci wrote:
>
> > Yes, it's a feature, but as all auto-magic stuff, it'll brake for some
> > people and I feel there should be a way to make those pages available to
> > them too.
>
> Are there examples of other browsers that "fix" this "problem"? Is it
> even possible to detect whether the webserver is serving localized
> pages, so that an imaginary language switch extension could retrieve
> those?

I haven't found a way to detect if the server sends translated content.
I also haven't found a browser that would do what you say, they don't
even use the W3C recommended
<link rel="alternate" type="application/xhtml+xml" lang="foo"
title="foo" href="index.xhtml.foo" />
to specify alternate content.

> > Also, how about people using someones computer, or a locked-down
> > Epiphany... Or maybe it's just me...
>
> Providing ways to circumvent epiphany lockdown does not sound like
> a good idea to me. :-X

Well, I was thinking of a situation like this:
A locked down browser in a library or airport, with the language set to
"bar", a person that speaks "foo" opens the Epiphany page and its in
"bar", and he has no way to change it to "foo". That would suck.

I just thought of something else... how are search engines going to
index the alternate pages when there are no links to them?

So, let's go to where this started and let me suggest putting cross
links between the different language versions of the same page.

What do you think of all this?

Thanks,
Victor

--
Victor Osadci <victor osadci gnome vic pmc md>