Re: Epiphany homepage

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 21:00 +0100, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Ok, I went ahead and made a mockup on
> http://www.cs.vu.nl/~reinout/epiphany.html .
>
> If you approve, just tell me what to do to get it on the GNOME www
> server. Oh and if anyone could GIMP up a few nice shaded screenshots
> like evince has, that would be most welcome. GIMP just doesn't like me..
> :-/

cc'ing the Evince list in case they actually care what I think. Not all
these criticisms apply to Evince's website, but some do.

Naturally, Evince people shouldn't really care as much about how
"perfect" their website code is; Epiphany, however, should hold itself
to a much higher standard. First of all, the frigging thing has to
*validate*. (Shame on you Evince guys!)

Anyway, Reinout, I've gone and edited your mockup as I saw fit. Feel
free to ignore or apply as many changes as you like. Below are the
changes I made, more or less in the order I made them.

- The <br clear="all"/>'s don't make sense. Should have <div
class="feature"> surrounding each feature instead.

- text-align: justify; just doesn't look good.

- "<div id="title">" really makes no sense, nor does it validate. That
whole block should be changed to use h1 and h2, with the <div> *outside*
the <a>. And since "left" and "right" are classes and not ids, might as
well do the same thing with title.

- (this is a big one) what's with fixed pixel sizes? Having div#left at
525px and div#right at 225px -- with three margins of 15px -- won't fit
in an 800x600 window (because of the scrollbar and window border) but
will be too small for any other screen resolution. We're developing a
web browser, so we should go out of our way to conform to standards;
fixed-width web pages are pure evil. The exception is the feature image
sizes: we know they'll all have the same width, so it's less evil to put
that as an absolute value in the CSS. I substituted a few px's for em's.

- Why, oh WHY does every single fucking web page out there make its font
size *smaller* than what users choose? I'm picking specifically on the
"div.left { font-size: 80%; }". This is simply wrong. Completely wrong.
SO completely and utterly wrong. Let's not copy all those damned web
pages out there that force people to browse at 125% text size.

- That "Last updated" thing at the bottom of the page doesn't work if
the content is served as application/xhtml+xml (this isn't so much a
problem for Evince people, but we really ought to be using XHTML 1.1
Strict since we're coding a *web browser* here... so if we change the
doctype, it won't work). Besides which, we've got a handy "Page Info"
dialog for that information; no need to write it at the bottom of the
page, too.

- The page border is clever for Evince, but not for Epiphany.

- Made the background 100% width. Since CSS can't scale images, I had to
eliminate the gradient-ness :(. So the image is 1px wide now.

- "float: bottom;" doesn't exist.

- I got rid of the float-happiness a bit, using absolute positioning for
the right navbar. And with some careful math (and an ugly hack), I
aligned the top of the screenshot with the top of the navbar.

- "sans" isn't a valid font family. "sans-serif" is.

Anyway, that's my list of changes. It looks the same and the content
hasn't changed. But it looks pretty from around 600px wide to fullscreen
on Epiphany.

I've attached all the files I changed.

--
Adam Hooper <adamh densi com>

/* Basic tags */
h2 {
	color:				#7cbe31;
	margin:				0;
}
li {
	margin:				0;
	padding:			0;
}
img {
	border:				none;
}
html {
	background:			white url("sandy-stripes.png") repeat-x;
	background-position:		0 10em;
	color:				rgb(68,68,68);
	font-family: 			Bitstream Vera Sans, sans-serif;
}
body {
	margin:				0;
}
div.title {
	border-bottom:			1px solid black;
	padding:			.5em;
	height:				4em;
	color:				black;
}
div.title a {
	color:				black;
	text-decoration:		none;
}
div.title h1, div.title h2 {
	text-align:			right;
	margin:				0;
}
div.title h1 {
	font-size:			2em;
	letter-spacing:			.3em;
}
div.title h2 {
	font-size:			1em;
	font-style:			italic;
	font-weight:			normal;
	color:				#4b503b;
}

div.left {
	margin:				1em 14em 1em 1em;
}
#features h4 {
	margin-left:			.5em;
}
#features img {
	margin:				.5em;
	float:				left;
}
#features p {
	margin-left:			200px; /* XXX: Image width */
}
#features div {
	clear:				both;
}
div.right {
	position:			absolute;
	font-size:			80%;
	/* Multiply sizes by 1.25... */
	right:				0;
	top:				6.25em;
	width:				17.5em;
	margin-top:			1px; /* Hack: same as .title border */
}
div.right h2 {
	color:				#3e601e;
	font-weight:			normal;