Re: roadmap discussion

Hello Nigel,

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Nigel Tao wrote:

I don't imagine the panel applet being a _replacement_ for the existing
Bookmarks menu.  It is just a convenience, and as a user I would be
surprised if a part of browser's fundamental functionality was not
accessible through its menu system (even if it was available elsewhere -

FYI, in the very first versions of Epiphany it didn't have a Bookmarks menu - we considered the Bookmarks window to be sufficient. Lots of people protested and we ended up with a Bookmarks menu that doesn't work well for large numbers of topics. Epiphany developers have been trying to mend this situation by allowing to preserve hierarchies when importing bookmarks from other browsers, and a automatic hierarchy system is currently under development.

Anyhow, although I agree that bookmarks are fundamental functionality, I don't see how they should be bound to one browser. If they can be "outsourced" to the desktop environment, it will simplify the browser UI.

the GNOME panel feels somewhat too far removed to be the sole location).

The Bookmarks window / toolbar button would still be there.

panel Actions menu but individual applications (e.g. OpenOffice, gEdit)
still have their own File menu.

I'm not calling for removal of the File menu (not at this point, that is ;-).

Emblems... for bookmarks?  Or make bookmarks viewable in nautilus (I can

See bug 113444 for example (there are more, but I can't find them right now).

open "fonts://" in nautilus, why not "bookmarks://")?  Bookmarks just as

Suggesting to have new URI namespaces is Bad. See for instance http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-October/msg00121.html

RedHat (Fedora Core 3) also prefer Firefox over Epiphany.  And

:-(

is because I have to use Windows at work, and so Firefox is what I am used to.

I don't follow this argumentation. A lot of small but noticeable details are different between Firefox/win32 and Firefox/linux. Yes, sharing bookmarks between different browsers/workplaces is a big win but technically doesn't require using the same browser everywhere.

bar when I open a new tab, which I think has been entered into bugzilla
but progress has stalled for whatever reason.

Yeah, this is one of the most reported problems. If the Ephy team could do anything else about it apart from what's already done, they would.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			student of Artifical Intelligence
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778

   == Geen softwarepatenten in Europa! == www.NoSoftwarePatents.com ==