Re: New release of bookmark patch

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, Peter Harvey wrote:

What I've tried to capture with my bookmarks patch is a way of organising bookmarks automatically using some of the ideas of FCA (formal concept analysis). It relies solely on the information provided in the groupings of bookmarks (basically, what topics each bookmark is associated with).

Sounds interesting. Is there a good intro for oafish dolts? (I took a degree in math once -- long ago & far away ...)

You say that you know how you want your bookmarks to "look", but my
patch doesn't let you specify exactly how they should look. You are
allowed to specify the way you group your bookmarks, and it generates
the "look" automatically. My patch won't allow a user to manipulate
minor nitpicky details like "this should be a submenu, not a subdivion",
or "the News topic always comes before Entertainment,
alphabet-be-damned".

I expressed it badly. I don't mean appearance per se, but arrangement -- which ones go into which places. I'm not sure whether it's the same; I don't want an alphabetic arrangement, though, but one where I can work my way down, without knowing names till I see them, from the outermost layer of hierarchy, if that's an appropriate concept. So for instance I want a grouping of miscellaneous linux pages; one devoted to particular distros; ones inside/below that for Fedora and YellowDog; ones inside/below each of those for software, and on to browsers, etc.

Is there a good chance that your organisational idiosyncrasies are
present in the way that you group your bookmarks? If they are, then
there is a good chance my bookmarks patch will generate a bookmark menu
you would at least be happy with. If not, then I may have to abandon the
idea of a universally satisfying bookmarks system. :)

	I *think* we're on close enough wavelengths to be making progress.

Marginalium: one old trick for arranging any personal info collection is to use mnemonics meant to amuse -- i.e., amuse the individual making and using the system, whether or not any of them amuses anyone else. I use that a lot, and suspect others do. Dumb example: filing certain kinds of info about a disliked boss under a private and derisive nickname for that boss, or an anagram or acronym of such a nickname.

--
Beartooth Implacable, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know very little of what I'm asking about!