Re: New release of bookmark patch

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 02:42, Beartooth wrote:
> I'm an old retired fart (ex-prof, ex-librarian), and I *know* how I want
> *my* files to look -- simply because, if they don't reflect *my*
> idiosyncrasies, I have less hope of finding anything than the proverbial
> celluloid hound in hell.

What I've tried to capture with my bookmarks patch is a way of
organising bookmarks automatically using some of the ideas of FCA
(formal concept analysis). It relies solely on the information provided
in the groupings of bookmarks (basically, what topics each bookmark is
associated with).

You say that you know how you want your bookmarks to "look", but my
patch doesn't let you specify exactly how they should look. You are
allowed to specify the way you group your bookmarks, and it generates
the "look" automatically. My patch won't allow a user to manipulate
minor nitpicky details like "this should be a submenu, not a subdivion",
or "the News topic always comes before Entertainment,
alphabet-be-damned".

Is there a good chance that your organisational idiosyncrasies are
present in the way that you group your bookmarks? If they are, then
there is a good chance my bookmarks patch will generate a bookmark menu
you would at least be happy with. If not, then I may have to abandon the
idea of a universally satisfying bookmarks system. :)

Thanks for the feedback,
Peter.