Re: New release of bookmark patch

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:58:19 +1000, Peter Harvey wrote:

> As it doesn't interfere with the operation of Epiphany for novice users
> I'd hope it may end up in the core of Epiphany eventually. So far I've
> had no comments criticising it (then again, I've had few comments about
> it at all :). Could I get some quick feedback as to what objections
> there are to having it included in Epiphany? Or experiences of people
> who've tried it and found it difficult to use?

Caveat 1: I'm beneath any hope of ever becoming a real technoid; I run FC1
out of the metaphorical box (got a DVD with a book), and keep it updated
with yum, using a sample yum.conf copied intact off the local mirror. So
this is strictly a *user* comment.

Caveat 2: I still have epiphany-1.0.4-2, and so does my mirror; I've
gotten into troubles I couldn't get out of, and wasted endless aggravation
trying, by downloading other cutting edge software into earlier (RedHat)
distros. So I not only haven't tried the patch, but can't, afaik, till it
gets taken up into FC1. In fact, I failed at my first attempt to run FC1,
and only finally got it when FC2 had just come out; I won't even try FC2
till after FC3 comes out.

Both those things being said, one fact may possibly interest you: I gave
up on epiphany the first day I tried it, as soon as I understood how the
bookmark system worked, and realized I couldn't modify it.

I'm an old retired fart (ex-prof, ex-librarian), and I *know* how I want
*my* files to look -- simply because, if they don't reflect *my*
idiosyncrasies, I have less hope of finding anything than the proverbial
celluloid hound in hell. Absent-mindedness was an occupational hazard in
both my careers; and my palliatives for it are the result of experience,
not theory. (I can't even articulate them worth a hoot; but they work for
me.) The present epiphany system prevents me from using any of them.

There are two reasons I follow this list: the hope that something like the
bookmark patch (iiuc from the web site) makes it into core, and the
assurance of sources I trust that epiphany is lean and fast -- and just
might remain so when it develops enough to be any use to me. I need both.

Fwiw, I run Firefox and Opera on all three computers I have, Galeon on
one, and Konqueror only at dire need; but by Opera I mean *without* all
its extras: I know what mailer (Pine) and what newsreader (Pan) I want,
and have them; no others interest me.

I can't hope to handle dillo; Cold Molasses Zilla makes my teeth itch
and my fingernails crawl -- and ruins my digestion. The Net needs a leaner
faster browser that doesn't require Alpha Double Plus expertise to use --
I hope very much that epiphany may turn out to be it.

I don't know how many other users or potential users may think as I do,
nor how to find out; but if such information can be gotten, it might be
relevant to much of what I see here. Maybe someone can find it.

Strength to your arm!

--
Beartooth Implacable, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Life is hunting, hunting life -- all ye know on earth,