[Epiphany] Re: Suggestion: gnome keychains?

On Tue, 13 May 2003 15:32:13 +0100, Simon D Howard wrote:

> I noticed that when using galeon and epiphany they both store passwords
> for websites seperately from each other (and from the rest of gnome) -
> would it be a good idea to split off the password storage system into a
> seperate library? Ie. Create a general gnome keychain system for storing
> such information.
>
> This could potentially benefit other gnome apps. I have a small program
> that uses gnome-vfs to access FTP sites and currently just stores
> passwords in the gconf registry, so such a system would also be useful
> to me. I can think of other uses for this: gnome-terminal could add an
> ssh function and store passwords in the keychain, and with web services
> becoming popular I expect it would be useful to the mono project too.
>
> What do people think of this? I'd be willing to help work on such a
> project

Even more cool would be a "desktop agnostic framework key/certificate
storage/API" for developers. It sucks that you have to add
certificates/keys for every application that needs them. Ie, i have to add
it to mozilla, then evolution  and then?.

I could list a couple more benifits... but this isnt the right forum ;). i
dont have the coding skills to help you, but a great place to get some
feedback could be http://www.freedesktop.org and