Re: [Epiphany] "I feel lucky" preference on Address bar

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 11:34, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 06:02:01PM +0200, Gavrila wrote:
>
>  > I think you misunderstood what I wrote. Since this project born to
>  > give a REALLY simple but powerful browser, one of the line of devs is
>  > to not implement gui options to configure "tweaky" things. And that's
>  > fine for me, just because that's why they decided to fork from
>  > galeon. The question indeed I was asking is: why to negate the
>  > possibility to 'hack' these settings when someone is able to?
>
>  Having to "hack" the settings/preferences in is just as wrong.  While
>  gconf is in general a good idea, it's prone to be abused in this kind
>  of way.  What is the reason, from a HCI point of view, for making
>  something that's, no matter how you look at it, a _user_ preference
>  _not_ configurable in an accesible way?

I totally agree that hidden prefs should not be abused in this sense.

>  What this means is that you have drawn an extremely thick line between
>  so-called power users and what Gavrila calls "young and inexpert".  You
>  start with the assumption that these "young and inexpert" users not
>  only do not want to learn, but they are incapable of it.  If you can't
>  see why that's wrong I won't waste my time trying to make it clear to
>  you.

I dont think we are drawing any line here. I know of several power users that use
the feel lucky thing a lot ... It's often faster and more natural to type a word then
an url.
Current defaults make all behaviors possible. You can use feel lucky, type an url,
do a normal google search (both with smart bookmarks and with the autocompletion
popdown).
Maybe the behavior is also useful for inexpert users, but that's just a plus.

Marco