Re: More improvements to the map plugin

Am Mittwoch, den 10.02.2010, 10:35 -0500 schrieb Pierre-Luc Beaudoin:
> On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 12:57 +0100, Felix Riemann wrote:
> >
> > The new markers are a bit of a step back in my eyes though, as they
> > don't have a thumbnail and are less precise due to the missing arrow
> > tail (although that's likely neglible).
>
> Yes, although I could still show the bubbles with the little icon in
> them.

Oh, looks like another configuration option. :)

> > But I guess that's due to limits of eog's thumbnailing. We should
> > probably look into ways to improve it as it has shown these limits in
> > several occasions lately.
>
> Indeed, it is a limitation of EOG. I can only get the thumbnail for the
> images visible in the EogThumbView.  I had tried displaying the
> thumbnail for the current image only but it was odd.

Theoretically you should be able to insert a EogJobThumbnail of your own
into the job queue. The question is then, how long does it take until
it's executed (there are other job taking preference before it), is it
still necessary to execute then (the UI could have loaded it already in
the meantime; the problem here is that it's currently not possible to
find out if there's already a thumbnail job queued for the respective
image) and what happens then (leakage?).

This has already led to a workaround (showing exactly the generic icon
as you do where the thumb isn't available) in the new
save-confirmation-dialog and will likely do so in the upcoming Picasa
plugin.

Hmm...

> > As the new functionality is so different (esp. speed-wise) from the
> > original implementationm, I think having the possibility to switch
> > back to the old layout through a preferences dialog wouldn't be a nice
> > move as well (except if it's hard to maintain both paths in the
> > plugin).
>
> What about having 2 plugins? It would mean 2 code base to maintain, but
> appart from "set the location" feature, I don't see much else needed to
> be added. hehe

I'd try to avoid having two plugins doing the same. I'm kinda hooked to
the little preferences dialog, especially now as the markers seem
configurable, too. ;)