Re: Feedback Needed | GNOME-Related Small Event Ideas and Resources

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 2:15 AM, Nuritzi Sanchez <nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 6:48 AM, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:

Two more things I noticed:
* There is no notion of timeframe. It would be good to set
(reasonable) expectations without necessarily making them a hard
requirement.

Can you please explain this further -- what would the timeline be for?

As the ones processing requests, I’m sure you need a bit of time to review them and get back to people making the requests. Would you say asking for funds on the day of the event is fine? I suppose it’s not, and in that case what are your expectations?

As a concrete example, I am going to make a request for a social event to occur during the Fractal hackfest sometime between May 10th and 13th. When would you say would be a reasonable deadline for me?

* It says “Total budget requested in USD” but the board agreed that
foundation members shouldn’t have to take the hit for fluctuations in
conversion rates, and other currencies are supported by the tools we
use for reimbursement. Therefore the approved amount should be in the
currency preferred by the requester.

Good point. I changed the language in two places (in bold) to help with this:

How much can I request?
Each request will be processed on a case-by-case basis, so please tell us how much you think you'll need and why. To set expectations, we hope most event organizers will request under the local currency equivalent of ~ $100 USD, since our funds are limited, but we will consider each request.

AND

How do I request funds?
Please include:
- Information about the event like what the event is, why it's GNOME-related and how it will benefit the community, and when the event will happen
- How many attendees are estimated to attend
- What the budget will be used for (e.g. snacks and drinks)
- Total budget requested in local currency

Let me know if you have suggestions for alternate wording, or if you see other places where we should revise.

I would suggest “preferred currency” rather than “local”, but otherwise this looks good.

Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director