Re: Feedback Needed | GNOME-Related Small Event Ideas and Resources

I've update the small events wiki page (https://wiki.gnome.org/Engagement/Events#Budget) to make a more flexible budget. I'm not sure how to tie it both to the number or participants and geographic location, so I just added that as something organizers should keep in mind when making their request.

I used my recent experience in Indonesia as an example for how a request might vary depending on where the event is organized, but if anyone has suggestions on a better example, please let me know!

Here's the new text:

How much can I request?
Each request will be processed on a case-by-case basis, so please tell us how much you think you'll need and why. To set expectations, we hope most event organizers will request under $100 USD, since our funds are limited, but we will consider each request.

The amount you request should depend on the number of people attending, and how much things cost in your geographic region. For example, it might cost $10 for snacks for 10 people in Indonesia, but $30 in the US.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions for the budget section or any other part of the small events page?

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 3:02 AM, Alexandre Franke <afranke gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 2:19 AM, Nuritzi Sanchez
<nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> Please take a look at the wiki page and let me know if you have any
> questions or comments about it. I'd love to give this list a chance to send
> feedback before we send it to foundation-list. I'll also add this page to
> tomorrow's Engagement team agenda in case anyone has further thoughts then.

I already expressed this concern earlier when this was discussed
amongst the board and was told this would be taken into account, but I
see this hasn’t been addressed so I’m raising it again.

The amount of $50 can be a good indication of what organizers should
aim for, but having already organized a number of small events I can
tell this doesn’t work that well. Let’s take an example to illustrate
this: I’m organizing a hackfest next month so I’m looking at having a
social event for attendees. The page suggests buying pizzas and
drinks, which sounds like a good plan. How far along can $50 get me? A
look at menus show me that it’ll be over $10 per person. I expect
something between 8 and 15 attendees, so this allocation will not be
enough. Even taking a less ambitious goal with a past example of a
release party, I paid a round of drinks but that wasn’t enough to
cover all of it. So the threshold probably should be tied to the
number of attendees.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director