Re: New initiative proposal: October is the month we squash bugs

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:33 PM, Nuritzi Sanchez
<nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:
Agreed, I really like this idea, Alexandre!

Ok. I admit my original email was a bit terse but it was mostly to see
if there was buy in first, and it seems there is!

It's almost October... how can we support this effort. The things Bastian
and Allan brought up are important:

Yep. I've taken notes, as well as from the discussion I had with
Bastian on IRC. I have some homework to do to expand on what the
initiative entails.

Wiki page with the details

I started it at https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/BugSquashMonth (no
specific month in the URL so that we can reuse it at any other time).
It's still a stub, but I'll keep working on it (and of course
contributions from others are more than welcome).

Selecting one date for a global bug squashing day. Then, we can select a
week to try to do local meetings.

I'd aim for several (non-consecutive) days, say 4, so that:

 * people that can't make it to one event can attend another one
 * people who attended one then tried to triage bugs and encountered
difficulties have an opportunity to get further training
 * we see results, as one session is a bit too little to have a real
impact in my opinion

Mentors! We need them. Can we add basics on the wiki page for how to triage
bugs? This is the part that seems most chalenging. I think we may need more
than a couple of days to do this right.

There's https://wiki.gnome.org/Bugsquad that can be used as a starting
point, but as Allan pointed out this needs to be revived.

FWIW I'll be on the mentor side, but of course I can't be the only one
and I'll try to get other experimented triagers to participate.

Marketing. It'd be great to get some images to post on social media and
elsewhere. We also might consider:

- news post
- email to foundation-announce, engagement, and developer lists
- social media

I'll leave this part to your expertise. :-)

Alexandre, you should come to the engagement team meeting this Friday at
17:00 UTC! Will you be leading this project?

I have indeed planned to attend and to lead the project. Talk to you
during the meeting!

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director