New initiative proposal: October is the month we squash bugs

Hi,

I've been meaning to push this for a while, but now seems to be the right time.

# Why October?

First of all because I thought it would be appropriate to *squash*
things on halloween season. Apart from it making me giggle, I see a
marketing opportunity here. [0]

But more importantly the fact that it's right after the release
actually makes it a good time to test stuff. With a fresh version out
the door it's the best moment to check if old bug reports are still
relevant, and doing it at the beginning of a development cycle ensures
maintainers get a clearer picture of what needs to be done.

# What is it?

A two part event with the goal of cleaning up our bug tracker.

## Online

The GNOME community tries to focus on bug triaging for a month. We can
organize several sessions at specific time and dates to do it together
for a few hours, but we can also do it individually on our own time.

Of course we welcome newcomers and help them get involved.

## In real life

We organize gatherings or workshops (known as bug squashing parties)
where local free software community members are taught how to triage
bugs.

# Feedback welcome

What do you people say? Do you think we should do it?

[0] So who's gonna draw us a pumpkin GNOME foot? :-)

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director