Re: Rethinking our release press releases

On 2015-09-11 18:49, Nuritzi Sanchez wrote:
Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:

My personal feeling is that we should frame this discussion around
the
question: what do we want to provide journalists with?

I think this is the singlemost important thing to consider. If
journalists aren't using the press release, then it doesn't make sense
to spend time and energy on one. Maybe we only create a press release
for major releases.

Although it can make sense to focus energy like that, we should also ask, why aren't journalists using press releases?

A "journalists' review pack" with some talking points, maybe some really really short videos that they can use as well as some screenshots and photos, some overhyped writing :) about even bugfix releases, might help to improve visbility and promote ideas like software freedom, privacy, reliability, involvement, the evilness of shoes, and the idea of viable alternatives to "mainstream' software.

But this is a much more dynamic sort of writing than a summary of features, and take a focused effort.

--
Liam Quin, W3C
XML Activity Lead;