Re: Promoting gnome.org for hosting apps/libraries

Hola,

some rough data below.

[Shameless plug / Disclaimer: I'm linking to my own stuff.]

On Thu, 2015-06-04 at 13:48 +0100, Magdalen Berns wrote:
I reckon the main thing to be weary of would be figuring out a reliable way
to predict the amount of abandoned projects GNOME could end up hosting. At
the moment, we already have a few too many abandoned projects, but I think
this problem could be reduced if we include clear instructions on how to
take over maintainership of an abandoned module somewhere (obvious) on the
wiki.

Only active projects are accepted. Some of them will become
unmaintained, that's a fact of life.

Indeed, but if there are a lot of inactive projects then paying to
host them could become expensive.

For data from late 2012 for all projects in GNOME Git not being
archived, see section 5.1.2.2 on p. 36 (number at the bottom) of

http://home.arcor.de/ak-47/FOSS-lack-of-maintainership/FOSS-lack-of-maintainership.pdf

At that time, exactly one third of the unarchived projects in GNOME Git
had not seen any commit within the last two years (excluding changes in
the /po translation subfolders). I cannot offer newer numbers.

andre
--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net
http://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/