Re: [3.18 Release Video] Manuscript draft 01 ready for review

Bastian <hougaard junior gmail com> wrote:
* "Software now has support for updating firmware, to help you keep your
devices up to date." - "help" makes it sound like this is a small
convenience thing. The new feature is a bit more than that. Perhaps
something like "In the past it has been difficult to keep device firmware up
to date. With the new version of GNOME Software, this is a thing of the
past: installing firmware updates will be as easy as pressing a button." ?

Sounds a bit like the plan is to feature this as one of the major milestones
of the 3.18 release?

Good question. As far as the release notes are concerned, we generally
have around 6 headline features. Currently, my list looks like this:

Primary features

 * Multitouch touchpad gestures (Wayland only)
 * Files improvements - include Nautilus and the file chooser? (other
places, remote search, better bookmarking, new ongoing operations ui,
file chooser search)
 * Google Drive Integration
 * New Characters application
 * New Calendar application
 * Firmware updates

Secondary features

 * Ambient light sensor support
 * Touch text selection improvements
 * Enhanced Polari - initial setup, error handling, paste service integration
 * Preview apps: News and To Do
 * Boxes - miscellaneous improvements
 * Scrolling improvements (kinetic scrolling with touchpads, improved
behaviour with mice)

Smaller things

 * GNOME Shell refinements (improved system status menu, restyled
dialog windows)
 * Logs improvements (better layout, select which boot to view)
 * gedit - minimap
 * Control center - improved bluetooth settings
 * Smooth spinners

One thing I'm not sure about is how much attention to give multitouch
touchpad gestures, since they are a Wayland-only feature, and
therefore probably won't be available to most people.