Re: Celebrating GNOME's birthday

Hey Nuritzi!

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Nuritzi Sanchez
<nuritzis stanfordalumni org> wrote:
Need your thoughts on what to post on Saturday
We need to post something on the website tomorrow. Do you guys think it'd be
feasible to write a blurb about how GNOME started and feature the founders?
Ideally, I'd love to add a photo of them then vs now. Any other ideas would
be much appreciated. I'd love to have something interesting, that people
will want to link to and post on social media.

Great to have you involved with this!

I really wish we had an archive of old photos that we could use... the
only thing that I can think of are the pictures on
happybirthdaygnome.org (which needs to be retired, really). I'm not
sure where they came from, though.

Miguel and Federico founded the project. Federico is still around and
there are pictures of him from GUADEC. We'd have to reach out to
Miguel to get a recent photo.

Other things we could talk about on the birthday:

 * Our history in numbers - eg. number of releases, GUADECs, bugs, etc.
 * Link to the original announcement email [1].
 * Link to the GNOME 1.0 virtual machine that we created for the 15th
birthday [2] (instructions are on happybirthday.gnome.org).

Allan

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/1997-August/msg00123.html
[2] http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/misc/GNOME1.4.ova