Re: reddit engagement

On 10/25/2014 10:12 AM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
On 2014-10-25 13:22, Oliver Propst wrote:
A few of us had quick chat on irc yesterday about reddit[1] and came
to the conclusion that there is some positive buzz there [2] about
GNOME these days, maybe we should think more about how to better
engage with the reddit community/users.

I personally find Reddit's lack of response on certain topics and legal
manners [1] misaligned with my values and those that I think are values
of the wider GNOME community.
It's not something I would like to use for outreach myself. I plain
don't want anything to do with it.

I agree that reddit has terrible management and many spiteful and
oppressive users. I'm not sure of many other GNU/Linux-focused community
forums though. Slashdot is even more hostile than /r/linux, but I'm not
sure about hackernews (I feel like hackernews is more programmer-focused).

Regardless, while I've learned useful things from /r/linux and had some
decent conversations there, I would strongly avoid encouraging people to
go there.

As a compromise, there's also https://www.reddit.com/r/srslinux and
https://www.reddit.com/r/SRSTechnology/ (and
https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/ ?) which are populated by far fewer
racists, sexists, etc.

What I would focus on is more proactive instead of reactive outreach.
Spreading good stories instead of trying to fire control the bad ones.

That is what I've already been doing for the past 9 months
https://www.reddit.com/user/hnasarat/submitted/

I have focused on making sure that people there see and hear about
GNOME, and what GNOME people are working on. There's often a fair deal
of support for the things I post, but I don't have the patience (nor
think it's a useful endeavor) to engage with detractors that inevitably
show up.

1. http://pento.net/2014/09/10/lets-have-a-chat-about-reddit/
- Andreas