Re: Next meeting Wednesday 25 of June 16:00 UTC

Hey everyone!

I wanted to chime in because I have been using P2s recently too (for
both work and personal projects) and I agree with Fabiana's sentiment
of how they enable async collaboration much more than wikis and email.

My take is that email puts a barrier of context and tool for people to
join the discussion. P2s are literally an editable website, but much
more friendlier than wikis, and without requiring you to go into
source code mode to get things done.

If you join a mailing list, you don't have the context unless you
browse painfully through each email in the less than ideal views that
mailman has. Same, if you want to join a discussion, you need to hook
into unrelated emails, or risk restarting a new thread unless you have
something "to reply to".

On the other hand, wikis are very "read or write", they are not very
interactive except for being able to edit pages. Not to mention that
the experience can be intimidating if you are not a fan of source
code. Notifications are a pain for me here too. It's all cool to
receive diffs of what has changed, but I would give that away in
exchange of integrated threaded discussion in wiki pages.

Case in point: I got my social communication pals to use it in about 1
hour, where with wikis, IRC and email lists I was never successful in
even getting them set up.

P2s are heavy on context and meta info. You can put faces to people
with avatars, you get to see where they have been mentioned, you can
tag people, you can create checklists, you can archive static
knowledge in pages.

I feel like high bandwidth stuff like engagement would benefit from a
high bandwidth tool like this.

Btw, It also has revisions and markdown formatting, so it's like a
wiki of the future. Simple, visual, context heavy.

When compared to Etherpad, I fully agree that Etherpad is fantastic
for meetings and simultaneous note taking, much better than fancier
things. P2 is more of a "Headquarters" tool, a start page where
information and discussions are kept. It's like mailing list and wiki
mixed into one, plus much improved UI and UX.

Also, it's Free Software on top of other Free Software :-).

Anyway, wanted to share some ideas here and there.

Cheers!

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Fabiana Simões