Re: Encouraging participation with gamification

Hi,

I dislike the gamification of what should be considered a commitment.

Also, putting too much value on past contributions creates a higher
barrier for newcomers, as they will measure themselves with those who
have been collecting badges for +5 years, especially if those badges are
publicly visible.

Reddit's Karma system is a great example of the kind of contributions we
probably don't want in GNOME. There's rarely anything insightful in
those one-liner comments that game the readers for upvotes.

In short: We want to focus on future contributions and I don't see yet
how gamification could help with that.

ciao Michael