Re: GNOME 3 videos

Hey Jason!

Jason D. Clinton wrote:
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 17:33, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah panix com>
wrote:
        I'm looking at
        http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/Gnome3In30Seconds and
        http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/82744.html  -- I'm
        downloading some of the videos, but my connection is really
        slow right now so I can't judge whether any of them are ready
        to go up on gnome3.org.  (Also, Jason said they'd need to be
        refilmed about now anyway -- updated, I assume.)

There are still some outstanding theme changes and some UI changes
that just landed so there's nothing ready to post. I had, at one time,
hoped I'd have time to post videos in beta quality (similar to the
video you downloaded) with an overlay on the video so that they
wouldn't be re-posted on tech. blogs but I never had time to do that
and they would have to be re-filmed now that the UI has changed,
anyway.

I've reserved my free time from the 11th through the 20th for filming
and post-production. How many will I finish during that time? I don't
know. I've asked for help several times throughout the past year and a
half and haven't gotten any offers except for some help with music, so
as far as I know, it's just me working on them, even though I posted
that complete HOWTO. Would love the help but I'm afraid the technical
learning curve is too high for anyone not familiar with video and
video editing and we're just too close to the deadline for me to
invest any time in training someone else.

Thanks for the update.

Do you think it would be desirable for us to put out a set of more basic
videos or screencasts in the interim? There is obviously a lot of
interest in some of the GNOME 3 features that you cannot show using
screenshots. Also - as you know - there have been a number of decidedly
substandard screencasts appear on the web. We could slap a beta label on
them if that would help.

There are one or two people who might be willing to help with this, but
I don't want it to conflict with what you are working on, and I want to
ensure that what we are putting out is of sufficiently high quality.

On a separate subject, there are a couple of things I'd like to see
covered in our videos, from a design and marketing pov:

 * Accessing the activities overview: this is the most basic operation
people need to learn to use the GNOME 3 desktop. The video would cover
the three ways of entering and exiting the overview (activities button,
hot corner, windows key [we need a better name for that!]).

 * Arranging your windows: a subject on which there has been recent
attention; also a place where users might benefit from seeing how it
works. The video would cover drag to maximise/unmaximise, double click
to maximise/unmaximise, and half-screen tiling.

 * A walk around the overview: introduce the key parts of the activities
overview (dash, windows view, applications view, workspaces switcher,
messaging tray). Would give a quick introduction and demonstration of
each one.

Any thoughts? (Apologies - I know it's late in the day to be bring this
up.) I can write scripts for these, if you'd like.

Best wishes,

Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/
IRC: aday on irc.gnome.org