Re: Video conferencing application

On 12/16/2010 01:21 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Pockey Lam <pockeylam gnome org
<mailto:pockeylam gnome org>> wrote:

    Dear all,

    Yeah, we would definitely use video conferencing (and / or
    broadcasting tool) to connect events from different venues around
    the world.

    What we have tested so far:

    Ekiga -- cannot even make one on one video chat on the same network,
    sip calls didn't work, and the only thing that we managed to get
    working is voice in the conference room. just wonder if anybody made
    Ekiga video chat work? what's the trick?

I'm surprised Ekiga didn't work.  Have you asked in #ekiga on IRC?
Those guys are pretty good in helping.

Gosh all this fail in video conferencing depresses me.  I remember
looking for such a solution for Linux Plumbers Conference.  We had
gotten a government official as a keynote (which ultimately fell
through) and he would only do it via video conferencing.  I knew then
that our video conferencing fu is not very strong and that was a year
ago as it was nearly impossible to find something that would work
especially following the standard video conferencing protocols that the
government was using.

Meh.

Talk to Zaheer, he might know as well.  He's been doing some work with
setting up Fluendo (although he no longer works for them).  I'm not
aware of anybody else doing anything with video conferencing.  But it's
a big hole in free desktops.

sri

Well it seems there is maybe a (discontinued) project called MPEG4IP http://mpeg4ip.sourceforge.net/ which explains how to built a sound/video streaming system. It's a bit more complicated but could work. I'll continue search in that direction and see what can "easily" be deployed. I guess a page listing all the available streams on that day would work very well too.

Fred