Re: Video conferencing application

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 8:51 PM, Pockey Lam <pockeylam gnome org> wrote:
Dear all,

Yeah, we would definitely use video conferencing (and / or broadcasting tool) to connect events from different venues around the world.

What we have tested so far:

Ekiga -- cannot even make one on one video chat on the same network, sip calls didn't work, and the only thing that we managed to get working is voice in the conference room. just wonder if anybody made Ekiga video chat work? what's the trick?

I'm surprised Ekiga didn't work.  Have you asked in #ekiga on IRC?  Those guys are pretty good in helping.

Gosh all this fail in video conferencing depresses me.  I remember looking for such a solution for Linux Plumbers Conference.  We had gotten a government official as a keynote (which ultimately fell through) and he would only do it via video conferencing.  I knew then that our video conferencing fu is not very strong and that was a year ago as it was nearly impossible to find something that would work especially following the standard video conferencing protocols that the government was using.

Meh.

Talk to Zaheer, he might know as well.  He's been doing some work with setting up Fluendo (although he no longer works for them).  I'm not aware of anybody else doing anything with video conferencing.  But it's a big hole in free desktops.