Re: GNOME User Survey

Hi Pockey,

We are currently working on a GNOME user survey. The survey target
potential and existing GNOME users and we planned to distribute this
survey to different FLOSS communities and GNU/Linux distributions /
communities and GNOME User Groups worldwide. Some approached groups
already said they would help to localize the survey for us.

The drafted objectives are as below, please feel free to comment.
      * Know who are our existing / potential users
      * Learn how do they use GNOME
      * Gather feedback from our existing / potential users
      * Identify issues from our existing users
      * The feedback will be used in Design, Features Improvement and
        Marketing purposes
      * Enhance awareness and adoption of GNOME
We would need your feedbacks on the drafted questions as well, you can
find all the information of this survey at
http://live.gnome.org/UserSurvey2011

This looks like a good first cut. My general impression is that it is
still very broad. A short survey would tend to have one or two research
questions, and those questions would be rather tighter in focus than the
objectives that you have here.

You could, for example, just choose to focus on a single marketing
issue. An effective research question could be something along the lines
of 'What kinds of marketing activities would be most attractive to GNOME
users?'. You could then have a range of questionnaire items which
explore that question: you could ask about preferred types of news
stories (new features, tips and tricks, contributor profiles, project
initiatives), forms of media used (Twitter, RSS, etc), favourite
web-sites, GNOME media channels that they follow, and so on.

Keep up the good work!

Best,

Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/
IRC: aday on irc.gnome.org