Re: GNOME -> Gnome

On Tue, 2010-04-06 at 18:28 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
Hi Andre,

Andre Klapper wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 06.04.2010, 08:08 -0500 schrieb Bharat Kapoor:
At least now I know what GNOME is an acronym for :)
The talk is about name or rename (if our mission is consistent with)
GNU Network Object Model Environment

Once again: GNOME WAS an acronym. GNOME is NOT anymore an acronym.
GNOME stands for GNOME nowadays. Only. That's all.

Except, that's not a good answer.

If that's the case, then GNOME can be Gnome or gnome or GnoMe or
whatever. All caps implies acronym, and thus people will ask what it
stands for. And if you answer "it doesn't stand for anything", the most
likely answer is "that's stupid".

Once more I failed on reply-all.

Trademark establishes the image of the brand, so:

GNOME != gnome
GNOME != gNoMe
GNOME != Gnome
... plus variations you can imagine. As it also should contemplate it's
image. So if the trademark is GNOME without being related to acronym,
there should be no relation.

I don't know if someone who has legal knowledge of this can support or
enlighten people. I do know that when Marketing creates a Trademark all
this aspects are usually contemplated. If you trademark is GNOME, then
gnome isn't your brand, and it is displayed as such it's a trademark
violation!.

The acronym might be dropped and all the rest kept. I am not saying we
should change or not change anything. I'm just trying to say that I do
agree with Andre in having GNOME (dropping the acronym).

I don't have the required technical skills to say this, but wouldn't
"bonobo" actually fit better the acronym than GNOME itself (as a
product)? Doesn't GNOME go far behond the acronym nowadays? </no flames>

I'm staying off such process, just trying to point that Trademarks are
used alongside other mechanisms for stuff like this.

nm

Dave.

--
Dave Neary
GNOME Foundation member

--
Nelson Marques
PGP Fingerprint: 53E1 731B 85A4 A098 8382 8CFF 1AC7 AF01 7717 8063