Re: GNOME store

Hi,

Quim Gil wrote:
Killermundi will define the final price for each product and the cut
that would go to the GNOME Foundation.

It would be nice to negociate this and have a price in the contract,
rather than leave it up to their good will. This is what I have done in
my (failed) attempts in the past.

They say though that the price
depends a bit on the volume of sales. Can we make an estimation of the
initial sales?

Difficult - espêcially since we're talking regional rather than world
sales. They really shouldn't expect any more than about €20,000 in sales.

I have asked also for reduced prices for groups, conferences...

Thanks.

WEBSITE

Would it make sense to have the catalog of products in our website and
controlled by us, and then the identification/payment/shipment platform
somewhere else, under the responsibility of the reseller. This way we
would control totally the presentation of the products. Perhaps this way
we could combine in the future the combination of various resellers in
different countries: only one catalog and then the payment platform of
the vendor corresponding to your shipping address.

It doesn't make for a nice user experience if you want to buy a few
things, and you end up having to buy off 3 different suppliers. It would
be nice to be able to constitute a shopping basket on the site.

I prefer having a site per supplier, with a filter page by region.

I don't think it's particularly painful having the payment platform off
gnome.org, but I hope that they can style it so that it doesn't look
completely different.

I still think it makes sense to offer the possibility to make a donation
to the GNOME Foundation in the checkout. The user is there, is buying
GNOME stuff, has introduced her data (shipping address etc) and is about
to introduce the credit card / paypal details. It's very easy for her to
add a small donation at that point. Sending her to a different web page
with a different form to make the donation implies that we are probably
to loose that donation.

Good idea.

Cheers,
Dave.