Re: Personas

On 7/15/06, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

Please either read about Personas online or wait until they're more than
half-done.

i read *all* the documentation they recommended in the marketing list
when the marketing personas issue first came out.

and believe me it wasn't the first time i had read about personas
anyway; it tends to appear somewhere when you study business
administration  :)

They can be of immense value to our marketing efforts,
including in product development, research, and advertising.

... providing they are representative profiles of our target users.
when they're random stories with no coherence or representation (eg:
"manny is a zoophilic 14-year-old genius lawyer who works as a
construction worker and likes to cut himself with a wifi usb chip"),
they have no marketing value whatsoever.

The bits that seem random to you are bits that make them feel like real
people, which helps people to identify with them and meet their needs.

i like the idea of some *bits* making target audiences look all human
and fuzzy, people swallow them more easily that way  :)

what i find useless is the idea of creating all human and fuzzy
profiles with no market representation at all... that's an anecdote
more than a profile, and i can't imagine why we would need those.

--
Santiago Roza
Proyecto Tiny ERP Argentina