Re: On breaking the woohoo barrier...thoughts on how GNOME can get great

<quote who="Iain *">

Kathy's talk on passionate users, Apple's "Mac vs PC" adverts and their
success with making things cool have shown us that people don't care
about
what a computer can do, but what they can do with a computer (there may
be
more of a difference in my mind, I'm just lacking a good way of
explaining
it). The whole idea that "Here's some cool stuff you can do" rather than
"this computer can do these 1000 features."

This is the distinction between "features" and "benefits". Apple have
always
been good about communicating *benefits* first, features second.
[snip]

Should anyone ever get around to creating some GNOME personas [1] then, in
the lingo of personas, they'd have life "goals", and these goals would be
achieved through tasks. I think goals == benefits, and features maybe ==
tasks.

We really need to get around to this.

[1] No, I haven't either.

murrayc murrayc com