Re: The relation with gnomefiles.org

Hi,

Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
GnomeFiles.org is a GTK software repository. It might have the word
"gnome" in it, but the goal was always to list all GTK-dependant
applications. And that includes wxWidgets, Java SWT and other binded
apps that depend on GTK. As GTK is LGPL, the goal was from the beginning
to list all of these applications without prejudice.

Of course, as its your site, you are free to list anything you want. But
listing non-free software is, for me, reason enough for the site to be
clearly a third-party site, with no link to the GNOME project.

Santiago has a good point about your usage of the GNOME trademark, but
honestly, I don't want the trademark to be a weapon we yield. I do want
the trademark to be a mark of quality, and perhaps you might want to
reconsider your policy of taking all comers.

Besides, the fact that Gnome is GPL, *does not* mean that most of the
Gnome users don't want to run non-free apps. I am using Gnome just fine,
and so are many of my friends, and we _do_ use some non-free apps here
and there. It is only safe to assume that many other Gnome users are
doing the same. And so it would be a disservice to these users to remove
non-Free apps, apps that they might need to do their job.

From my point of view, it would be a service to those users, as it helps
them avoid the unfortunate possibility of becoming dependent on non-free
software like VMWare layer, because they think it's free software after
seeing it on your site.

Cheers,
Dave.

--