wgo i18n (was Re: wgo revamp timeline (proposal))

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 10:08 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

... and the i18n module still appears to be a patch, as well as terribly
inefficient in terms of database access and design. As much as I enjoy
Drupal, I really don't think it has a good answer to content translation at
this point.

All of us agree that Drupal i18n capabilities are not as good as our
i18n requirements need. Although probably all we reckon as well that
these requirements are not easy to fulfill by any CMS anyway, specially
in the short term.

However, we are approaching to a point of negotiation. Christian Rose
has made some good observations at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/Localization and John Hwang seems to have
an interesting proposal for a decent solution for now (I hope tavon and
Greg Nagy come back from holidays so they can report by themselves).

In the case we end up choosing Drupal, the i18n module has done some
improvements. In v4.7 it doesn't require more patches to the core, it is
a module that can be installed and upgraded cleanly. There is also a
group of developers improving the Drupal support of XML and DocBook
import/export. Surely all this is not enough to fulfill the requirements
today but, well, is a promising path.

Other paths are also feasible. We can consider them better once the
requirements are agreed. At the very end it is all about free software
programming and implementation: a sustainable negotiation between
requirements, resources and deadlines.