Re: LiveCD Media Project

[Doh, accidentally sent this only to Ian.]
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:21:04 -0500, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 13:14:48 -0500, Ian McIntosh
<ian_mcintosh linuxadvocate org> wrote:
I haven't seen the Building on the Past video, so can't judge. Link?

http://creativecommons.org/video/movingimagecontest

Ah. Again, my computer is biting me on the ass; I really have to get
the sound fixed. Thanks.

Any particular reason you didn't put the Beasties track in there?

The three we chose were just the ones we thought would offend the fewest
people. :)  The Beasties song says something like: "Yes I'm pro-choice
I'm a scream and shout it."

Ah. So they gave it away because their label wouldn't let them release
it ;) Anyway, good call.

Then just symlink some stuff from elsewhere on the CD; there is plenty
of art that needs to be included in the default desktop.

Good idea here.  I guess the user wouldn't be able to save over the
files where they live now (in the GIMP, for example), but it's probably
not a big deal.

Can they do this anyway with the live CD?

(1) It's not at all clear that it is even legal for us to ship
(2) I feel strongly we need to push open formats; a little note that

I totally agree with you on both issues.  My ONLY concern is that the
user leaves the demo CONVINCED that Linux/GNOME can play their music.

Can we include easy instructions to help those hardcore MP3 kids add the
support during the demo?

I'd hope we can ship with it; whether or not we can I hope we demo
something else. (I'd also note that I didn't think we were aiming at
end-users here, but marketing/media types.) At any rate, if we think
we can squeeze more than one CC CD track on, maybe just one of each is
the Right Thing.

Luis