Re: About a list for India

<quote who="Hasbullah Bin Pit">

It's normal within a country to have:-
- several Linux Group (LUG)
- several OpenSource Group
- several BSD group
- l10n/i18n group (but base on language and per project.)

sometimes, this group is per language,
and  getting narrower as per state, per city, per university

Sure, that's my point. We want to involve existing groups where they exist
(such as gnome-de, gnome-no, etc), instead of trampling in with our own
lists and not caring for what's been done before.

Marketing + Advocacy relate closely with love.  I dont think it's easy to
ask people to join 'gnome country_name marketing project' to advocate &
market gnome in a particular country.

i think we should drop "marketing" word on that group name to attract
people.

That's what we're already doing. We have gnome-<countrycode>-list, which has
no strong connection to the marketing team, other than communication and
energy shared between them.

what if, we just link gnome<>country, also link gnome<>language and just
create groups.

it will be (per country) :-
"GNOME Malaysia" or "Malaysian GNOME Group"
"GNOME India" or "Indian GNOME group"
"GNOME France"
"GNOME Australia"

AND ...
"GNOME Malay"
"GNOME Germans"
"GNOME Hindi"
"GNOME espanyol"
for language that used only in single country, we dont need per language
group for it.

we do marketing in that groups.

This is precisely what we're doing. :-) My question to the Indian guys is
how we can do it best *in India*. It's going to be different everywhere.

It's just like LUG, but replace Linux with GNOME.
We just do marketing

I know a lot of people asking about gnome in local LUG  mailing list.
instead of usingLUG, it would be better if they ask GNOME question,
share GNOME experience in GUG (GNOME user group). from this, we can
generate love upon GNOME and willing to do marketing for it.
just link up these group with our main marketing group or the foundation.

if we want to avoid conflict with l10n Team, just suggest the
translation team to have their user mailing list as our per language
marketing tool.

Sure, but each country will do it differently. For instance, I don't want
gnome-au-list to have questions and answers on it - it should be for event
planning, advocacy and the occasional chit-chat. People from Australia can
quite easily go to their local users groups or to one of the GNOME lists to
get help. *However* it is very important in some countries that users who
don't speak English can get help (such as in Spain, China, and many others).

So, each group will operate somewhat differently, but the important points
remain: They are locally relevant groups, affiliated or communicating with
the GNOME marketing project.

Which brings us back to the questions about India. I am wondering what the
best strategy is for that country, considering language issues, and the
existance of a number of groups already. :-)

- Jeff

     Broken hearts rarely come with "Some Assembly Required" stickers.